If you’ve experienced mold in your home in the past, you might have invested in an air purifier, as many experts will recommend this. It’s tempting to wonder —are they really doing anything? How do you know if it’s worth the investment? Here are the fast facts on whether air purifiers actually prevent the growth of mold.
Air Purifiers and Mold
Let’s get started. Here’s what you need to know about air purifiers and mold.
• Mold Likes Moisture Over Time: To understand how to stop mold from growing, it’s good to start with a basic understanding of how mold grows in the first place! Mold grows in warm, damp places that stay undisturbed for a long period of time.
• Leaks: Several of the most common causes of mold growth in the home can be traced back to water leakages into the home. Generally, these are leaking roofs or leaking pipes.
• Condensation: However, moisture can come from perfectly sealed pipes and roofs. If either is improperly insulated, however, excess moisture can be formed by the process of condensation.
• The Point of Air Purifiers: Air purifiers are optimized to help circulate air. However, many people don’t realize that the air purifier is only one piece of the puzzle. Air purifiers can’t do the entire job themselves—they’re not meant to work in isolation! They can move air around, but you must open windows and doors to help fresh air circulate so that the air purifiers have more to work with—and can remove harmful particles faster.
• How to Use Air Purifiers Most Effectively: In order to get the most out of your air purification system, keep them in spaces that regularly get damp—such as your kitchen or your bathroom. Open up cupboards or other spaces in which you expect there to be mold, and open windows to improve air circulation.
Know When It’s Time for a Specialist: While an air purifier can improve conditions so no more mold will grow, it cannot do anything about already-present mold. For that, just know that it might be time to call in a professional.
Contact us for Mold Remediation
To conclude, air purifiers can be useful in the prevention of mold, but once mold has already grown it’s time to call in a professional for remediation. If you find yourself overwhelmed with mold or simply want to understand what more you can do to ensure that you don’t end up with a major mold problem, give us a call. We are mold experts and have many years of experience in the industry. Give us a call today to learn more or fill out an online form to schedule a mold remediation service for your home or business!