Mold and carpet are two things you don’t want together, as it’s detrimental to your well-being. Unfortunately, you only have 24 to 48 hours before mold starts to grow in a wet carpet. As the mold grows in the wet carpet, it becomes a health hazard to you and everyone else in the home. There are different variants of mold, and you must act quickly before it’s too late, as one to two days is the grace period to avoid further damage. In this article, we’ll inform you of the types of mold you should be aware of, and what to do if you suspect there’s mold growth in your wet carpet.
Six Types of Mold in Wet Carpets
The various kinds of mold that grow in wet carpets tend to have their own personality. They look for the right conditions and can cause allergies, even irritating your lungs.
There are six types of mold, which include:
- Alternaria: Needs immediate attention, as it spreads fast and can irritate the lungs. Allergic reactions may occur
- Chaetomium: An odor may produce in the home and Chaetomium is allergenic. Certain types can cause nail and skin infections.
- Cladosporium: Allergic and respiratory conditions may occur.
- Fusarium: This mold likes carpet, and it’s very toxigenic. It adapts to cold conditions, which allows it to thrive in basements or anywhere in your home during the winter.
- Stachybotrys: Also called “black mold,” and is extremely dangerous. It tends to be uncommon, but the toxins it produces are life-threatening to some. For instance, large amounts of exposure have killed infants in the past.
- Trichoderma: Another mold that prefers carpet, but also other fabric surfaces too. At times, it’s non-toxic yet unsightly. However, other stains can be dangerous, producing toxins. It must be immediately removed, as it is resistant to anti-fungal treatments and heat.
Contact Moldguys Restoration
As you can see, not only are there different kinds of molds you have to worry about in a wet carpet, but there are serious side effects too. From allergens to serious health consequences, mold that grows between 24 to 48 hours must be taken care of right away. If you suspect you have any of these types of molds in your home, consult with a professional right away. The experts at Moldguys Restoration will remove the mold and inform you of future preventative measures. Fill out an online form or give us a call today to get started!