Finding mold in your home is never pleasant. Between its unsightly appearance, and the potential health hazards it can cause for you and your family, the word itself is probably enough to make you cringe. And sadly, mold has the ability to grow almost anywhere- on the carpet, floor, ceiling, paper, food, inside drywall, etc. Once it has made itself comfortable, it won’t be long before it starts multiplying. That is one of the reasons mold can be so intimidating- it spreads rapidly, and can be tricky to get rid of. The best thing we can do is to try to prevent the growth of mold altogether. The following tips can help to keep you and your home safe from mold.
Keep It Dry:
It may seem obvious, but this is one of the most crucial factors in keeping your home mold-free. When spills or leaks occur, try to tackle them right away, or at very least within 24-48 hours. After every shower, dry the floors and walls, as this is an optimal time for mold to start growing. If there’s been any burst pipes or flooding in your home, you may even need to completely remove water-damaged carpets bedding and furniture if they cannot be dried. Additionally, don’t leave wet clothes in the washing machine for an extended period of time. Mold can spread quickly, so try to remove them promptly and when possible, hang outside to dry. Mold thrives in damp areas, so try to eliminate any potential areas for it could root and spread.
Without proper ventilation, some of our everyday domestic activities could be promoting mold growth in your home. Cooking dinner, taking a shower, or doing a load of laundry could be sending an unwanted invitation to mold. You can offset this by using AC units and dehumidifiers in your home to reduce moisture. Opening a window or running an exhaust fan could also work just as well.
If you’re starting fresh by building a brand new home, or even renovating an old one, consider using mold-resistant products. Mold-resistant drywall is a good alternative to traditional drywall, as it is paperless. Instead, it is covered in fiberglass, making the service water resistant. This would be highly beneficial to use in rooms that typically acquire the most moisture such as your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room and basement.
Contact Mold Guys Restoration
If you have found that mold has already made its way into your home, contact a professional. Mold Guys Restoration specializes in mold cleanup and remediation. Contact us today to learn more!