Living in a notoriously humid climate, homeowners in Massachusetts and New England are no strangers to mold. Unfortunately, mold growth in homes and offices is even more common than we might realize. Even if the signs aren’t visible, it doesn’t mean it’s not there. In fact, a lot of times people experience symptoms that are a clear indicator of the mold, but mistake them for allergies or the common cold. Mold can cause a variety of different health effects when exposed to humans. Keep reading to learn more about the common symptoms and signs of mold exposure, and how to address the situation.
Are all Molds Dangerous?
First, it’s important to understand that not all types of mold are harmful. There are a few certain kinds that will pose serious health issues to you and your family when exposed to. Below is a list of the 6 most common:
- Stachybotrys- Commonly referred to as black mold, is one of the most dangerous types of mold causing flu-like symptoms. Children are especially vulnerable to this type of mold, as their lungs are still developing and exposure to black mold can pose greater health risks.
- Chaetomium- Most often found in homes with water damage, as it thrives in wet and dark environments such as wallpaper, baseboards, carpets, and drywall.
- Aspergillus- This type of mold is present in the air that many of us breathe on a daily basis, and can be especially harmful for people with compromised immune systems.
- Penicillium- Another common type of mold that is often found in everyday environments, this can cause asthmatic symptoms and other respiratory issues.
- Fusarium- Often found in plant debris and soil, Fusarium is a type of mold that is found in very damp areas. It can also be found in carpeting, inside drywall, insulation, or HVAC systems.
- Alternaria- This is a well-known allergy-causing mold, that is found especially in warmer climates, such as during spring and summer. It can typically be found in your home in electric cables, cardboard, canvas, etc.
What are the Symptoms?
Now that we’ve laid out which types of mold can cause health risks and where to find them, it’s important to know the symptoms, even if the mold is not visible. Many of the symptoms will be similar to an allergic reaction. These symptoms include but are not limited to:
- Itchy, water eyes
- Redness in the eyes
- Difficulty Breathing
- Runny nose
If you notice yourself or anyone in your household with these symptoms, it could be a clear indicator that mold is present. Once you learn that mold is living in your home, it’s best to address it right away. Calling in a professional for mold remediation is the safest way to ensure it’s fully gone.
Contact Moldguys Restoration LLC
Mold is a serious issue that can cause damage to your home and health risks for you and your family. If your home or business is in need of mold remediation, you can count on the professionals at Moldguys Restoration LLC! We provide quality mold removal services in Bridgewater, Kingston, Plymouth, and beyond. Contact us today by filling out an online form or give us a call at 781-910-5029 to get started!