It’s no secret that mold is something everybody would like to avoid, but do you have all the information you need to combat mold effectively? There’s a lot of misinformation online regarding mold, what causes it, and how you should deal with it. We want to help give you all the information you need to know that’s based on real facts and evidence. Keep reading to learn what you’ve been missing about the connection between mold and humidity!
Mold Needs Humidity
To start with the basics, it’s important to realize that mold needs humidity to grow. Warm, moist conditions produce the perfect humidity levels that mold spores thrive on. Areas that have high temperatures the majority of the year are more prone to mold spores in the homes of local residents.
Removing Moisture from Your Home
To remove mold from your home, you have to remove the moisture from your home. Think of areas that attract humid conditions. Basements, attics, kitchens, and bathrooms are the areas that will require most of your attention. A few tips you can use to remove moisture from your home include:
- Install vents in your bathroom and kitchen
- Use a dehumidifier in your basement, and don’t forget to empty it daily
- Update insulation in your walls and attic to prevent condensation build-up
- Remove items that have been affected by mold
Preventing Moisture from Entering Your Home
Now that you know how to remove the moisture that’s already in your home, it’s important to use preventative measures to keep the mold from returning. Some preventative measures include:
- Regularly running your air conditioning unit to remove moisture from the air
- Inspect the exterior and interior of your home for any signs of water leaks
- Look at your roof from inside the attic to see if any light is shining through. If it is, it’s time to repair the roof.
- Use mold-resistant materials. Linoleum or hardwood rather than carpet, plastic or glass that can be easily cleaned, etc.
- Disinfect areas that see high moisture levels. Bathrooms, basements, and kitchens should be cleaned regularly to remove any beginning signs of mold spores.
Contact us for Mold Remediation
If you’re fighting a major mold problem in your home, your health may be at risk. It’s best to contact a professional to come to remove the mold and then begin using these tips to prevent future humidity and mold growth. Moldguys Restoration provides mold remediation in Bridgewater, throughout the South Shore and beyond. Give us a call today at 781-810-5029 or fill out an online form to schedule an appointment!