man looking shocked at mold

Is it Safe to Clean Black Mold Yourself?

Black mold is something that no homeowner wants to find in the house. It’s dangerous and difficult to get rid of, which makes many people wonder if it’s possible to do a DIY cleaning. Keep reading for everything you want to know about black mold and whether it’s safe to clean it yourself. 

How Dangerous is Black Mold? 

Unfortunately, black mold is a very toxic substance that can cause a lot of unwanted health problems. How dangerous it can be depends largely on exposure to it. If you are only exposed to black mold one or two times, symptoms of exposure will be minimal, and you likely won’t experience any continuing chronic issues. However, if you have a weak immune system, even limited exposure can contribute to chronic illness. 

The symptoms of one-off black mold exposure consist of the following:

  • Serious headaches
  • Breathing difficulties 
  • High fever
  • Sneezing or coughing 
  • Sinus problems including stuffy nose, runny nose, or nosebleeds
  • Tightening sensation in the chest 
  • A burning feeling while breathing 

The symptoms for repeated exposure to black mold are:

  • Autoimmune diseases 
  • Fatigue
  • Migraines
  • Skin rashes
  • Chronic autoimmune diseases 
  • Muscle aches 
  • Symptoms similar to the cold and flu
  • Asthma 
  • Vomiting and diarrhea 

If exposure to black mold is allowed to continue uninterrupted, black mold poisoning could become deadly. A black mold infestation allowed to remain in the home has been shown to put the lives of adults, children, and pets alike in danger

Can I clean black mold myself?

Because black mold is so dangerous, extra precautions must be taken when cleaning it out. Increased exposure to the mold without proper protective equipment can cause further damage to you. Additionally, if the mold is not cleaned properly with the right materials, it can linger and persist. If black mold remains in the home, you and your family will continue to be exposed and could eventually experience severe symptoms. 

How to remove black mold 

Black moons, and most molds in general, grow and spread through spores. When released into the air, the tiny spores float around undetected. Because the spores are practically invisible, you likely won’t notice when or where they spread. The cleaning process can disrupt these spores spreading them further in and around the home. This is why it is essential that you take necessary precautions before you begin cleaning. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re going to attempt black mold removal on your own.

  • Make sure to have personal protection equipment and wear it anytime you are dealing with the mold. This equipment could include a mask and gloves, or more. 
  • While you are working to remove the mold, there should be no one living in the home due to the spore spread. Make arrangements to have your family and pets stay for a few days elsewhere.
  • Know which chemicals you will be using and familiarize yourself with their warning labels. Bleach should not be used on black mold. Rather you should use black mold dedicated removal products.
  • Take pictures or videos and document your process. This could help protect you in case of litigation if something goes wrong.
  • Get a hold of moisture in the home. Once you’ve removed the mold, you want to keep it clean. A drier environment will help.

Contact Moldguys Restoration Today

If you’re ready to get a handle on your mold problem and aren’t quite ready to tackle it yourself, get in touch with the experts at Moldguys for assistance. 

 

Comments for this post are closed.