man looking shocked at mold

Is it Safe to Clean Black Mold Yourself?

Black mold is something that no homeowner wants to find in the house. It’s dangerous and difficult to get rid of, which makes many people wonder if it’s possible to do a DIY cleaning. Keep reading for everything you want to know about black mold and whether it’s safe to clean it yourself. 

How Dangerous is Black Mold? 

Unfortunately, black mold is a very toxic substance that can cause a lot of unwanted health problems. How dangerous it can be depends largely on exposure to it. If you are only exposed to black mold one or two times, symptoms of exposure will be minimal, and you likely won’t experience any continuing chronic issues. However, if you have a weak immune system, even limited exposure can contribute to chronic illness. 

The symptoms of one-off black mold exposure consist of the following:

  • Serious headaches
  • Breathing difficulties 
  • High fever
  • Sneezing or coughing 
  • Sinus problems including stuffy nose, runny nose, or nosebleeds
  • Tightening sensation in the chest 
  • A burning feeling while breathing 

The symptoms for repeated exposure to black mold are:

  • Autoimmune diseases 
  • Fatigue
  • Migraines
  • Skin rashes
  • Chronic autoimmune diseases 
  • Muscle aches 
  • Symptoms similar to the cold and flu
  • Asthma 
  • Vomiting and diarrhea 

If exposure to black mold is allowed to continue uninterrupted, black mold poisoning could become deadly. A black mold infestation allowed to remain in the home has been shown to put the lives of adults, children, and pets alike in danger

Can I clean black mold myself?

Because black mold is so dangerous, extra precautions must be taken when cleaning it out. Increased exposure to the mold without proper protective equipment can cause further damage to you. Additionally, if the mold is not cleaned properly with the right materials, it can linger and persist. If black mold remains in the home, you and your family will continue to be exposed and could eventually experience severe symptoms. 

How to remove black mold 

Black moons, and most molds in general, grow and spread through spores. When released into the air, the tiny spores float around undetected. Because the spores are practically invisible, you likely won’t notice when or where they spread. The cleaning process can disrupt these spores spreading them further in and around the home. This is why it is essential that you take necessary precautions before you begin cleaning. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re going to attempt black mold removal on your own.

  • Make sure to have personal protection equipment and wear it anytime you are dealing with the mold. This equipment could include a mask and gloves, or more. 
  • While you are working to remove the mold, there should be no one living in the home due to the spore spread. Make arrangements to have your family and pets stay for a few days elsewhere.
  • Know which chemicals you will be using and familiarize yourself with their warning labels. Bleach should not be used on black mold. Rather you should use black mold dedicated removal products.
  • Take pictures or videos and document your process. This could help protect you in case of litigation if something goes wrong.
  • Get a hold of moisture in the home. Once you’ve removed the mold, you want to keep it clean. A drier environment will help.

Contact Moldguys Restoration Today

If you’re ready to get a handle on your mold problem and aren’t quite ready to tackle it yourself, get in touch with the experts at Moldguys for assistance. 

 

Tips for Beating Mold and Mildew Before They Start

Mold pops up seemingly out of nowhere. Under the right conditions, it can begin growing in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You won’t have a full-scale problem on your hands right away, but wait long enough and you’ll be wishing you had been a bit more proactive on keeping mold at bay in the first place. Luckily for you, we have some suggestions on how to get the jump on mildew and mold before they ensnare your home in their clutches.

Increase Air Circulation While Reducing Humidity

One of the cheapest ways to do this is simply opening your windows or turning on a fan or two. Although, opening up the windows is likely not an option now that the cold weather has arrived. If you have a bathroom window, however, there is no harm in throwing it open when you take your morning shower in order to prevent moisture from building up in the bathroom. In times of cold weather, consider purchasing a dehumidifier to help reduce overall moisture inside of your living space. If you can, purchase one with digital readings so you can actively keep indoor humidity below 40%.

Quickly Repair Any Leaks

Since mold and mildew grow at a relatively rapid pace, attend to any leaks your home may have. The longer a leak is left unrepaired, the more likely you are to be dealing with the fallout of the mold and damage that comes along with an unattended leak. Fixing the leak as soon as you notice it will only save you time and money in the long run.

Keep Entryway Floors Dry During Wet Weather

While it’s not great to have wall-to-wall carpet, or sections of carpet, in your entryway, you might not have a choice if you’re currently renting your property. If you have carpet up to your door, be sure to vacuum the area regularly when the weather is wet. Regularly inspect carpeted entryways for signs of mold by the baseboards or wherever the carpet meets the wall.

These are a few ways you can help mitigate mold growth in your home. Try them out and you should notice an improvement in areas where you have noticed light to moderate mold activity. If you appear to have a larger problem on your hands than you thought, don’t hesitate to contact us at 781-910-5029 or 781-733-3675. You can also fill out our online contact form!   

Dangers of Using Bleach to Kill Mold

When you think of powerful clean many people's first thought is bleach. Bleach is a common cleaning product for many people because of its versatility and cleaning power. You can use bleach for many different jobs from getting stains out of clothing to disinfecting bathrooms. But when it comes to mold clean up bleach is not an acceptable cleaning product.

Bleach is not the answer for mold clean up and can actually contribute negatively to certain mold problems. Chlorine bleach can only kill surface mold but mold can grow deep roots within porous surfaces such as wood or drywall. Because the bleach cannot penetrate to destroy mold growth at the roots bleach will not help stop the growth from coming back. If fact, the only component of the bleach that can reach the roots is the water component which can actually feed the mold growth.

Check out these photos from a home whose owner tried to clean up mold themselves with the use of Clorox bleach. Within 48 hours the bleach made the mold growth 10x worse!

20161109_084938 20161109_084930

When it comes to mold removal the most important thing is to stop mold from growing. Mold cannot grow without a moisture source so first find the cause of moisture and make any necessary changes to assure the mold will not return and the area is properly dried and ventilated. This will make certain that the mold roots are removed and will not return.

If you have mold in your home or business the best thing to do is call the professionals at Mold guys Restoration. We have been in the industry for over 20 years and understand the proper ways to remediate mold issues from your property. Don’t let mold growth control your home - Call us today for your free quote!

Mold Removal MA

Mold Removal Services in MA

When it comes to projects around the house, there are many projects homeowners can accomplish in a quick amount of time such as changing light bulbs, cleaning the gutters, rearranging furniture. There will be times when you will need to leave it to the professionals in order to get a project done. Such projects as mold removal should always be done by a professional here is why…

A homeowner might not know the type of mold they might be encountering, the ending result can be damaging. Mold can spread to other parts of your home if it not removed properly and drive mold into the air. Major damage, Health and safety concerns can occur if a homeowner does not have the degree of knowledge or the skill that is required for mold removal.

A hired professional wears the proper gear for protection such as gloves, eyewear and face masks to remove the mold out of your home. A homeowner should never try to remove mold on their own. Moldguys Restoration is your mold removal experts to help you complete the toughest mold removal, remediation, and restoration project for your business or home.

 

Request a free quote today.