Summer is great but smelly basements are not. If you are a homeowner and have a basement, there is a chance you have encountered a musty smell in your basement or will at some point. That musty basement smell can have a long-lasting effect and is no fun for those who has to endure it. So what is the cause of this musty basement smell in all probability? If you experience an unpleasant odor in your basement, it is probably the result of mold or water damage build-up. Untreated mold or water damage can lead to mildew and that is not good for the home or the inhabitants. Mold and mildew thrive in damp areas, so be proactive and do not give it the ability to do so.
What do I do about a Smelly Basement?
- Identify the cause of the Water Damage
Mold can grow in areas of water damage in as little as 24 hours. If you notice your basement walls have encountered water damage, do not procrastinate. Knowing what caused the leak and mitigating the situation will decrease the chance mold grows.
- Bring a Dehumidifier down to your basement and let it go to work
Dehumidifiers are known to remove water from the air. A dehumidifier is great for the summertime and when implemented, it can bring the humidity down in your home. In turn, this can prevent mold from growing while purifying the air in your basement. You can buy a dehumidifier from stores like Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe’s or have a professional mold company do the work for you.
- Negate The Smelly Odor in the Basement
For years, baking soda has been a popular remedy to remove smelly odors. Having baking soda present in your basement and even sprinkling it around can mitigate the unpleasant smell.
Professional Mold Removal and Water Damage Specialists in Boston: Moldguys Restoration
At Moldguys restoration, we can help you treat a smelly basement. Our team of professionals has countless years of experience handling mold and water damage. We accept insurance claims, offer 24/7 emergency services, and always offer excellent customer service. Contact us today if you notice you have a smelly basement or excessive mold present.