man looking shocked at mold

Is it Safe to Clean Black Mold Yourself?

Black mold is something that no homeowner wants to find in the house. It’s dangerous and difficult to get rid of, which makes many people wonder if it’s possible to do a DIY cleaning. Keep reading for everything you want to know about black mold and whether it’s safe to clean it yourself. 

How Dangerous is Black Mold? 

Unfortunately, black mold is a very toxic substance that can cause a lot of unwanted health problems. How dangerous it can be depends largely on exposure to it. If you are only exposed to black mold one or two times, symptoms of exposure will be minimal, and you likely won’t experience any continuing chronic issues. However, if you have a weak immune system, even limited exposure can contribute to chronic illness. 

The symptoms of one-off black mold exposure consist of the following:

  • Serious headaches
  • Breathing difficulties 
  • High fever
  • Sneezing or coughing 
  • Sinus problems including stuffy nose, runny nose, or nosebleeds
  • Tightening sensation in the chest 
  • A burning feeling while breathing 

The symptoms for repeated exposure to black mold are:

  • Autoimmune diseases 
  • Fatigue
  • Migraines
  • Skin rashes
  • Chronic autoimmune diseases 
  • Muscle aches 
  • Symptoms similar to the cold and flu
  • Asthma 
  • Vomiting and diarrhea 

If exposure to black mold is allowed to continue uninterrupted, black mold poisoning could become deadly. A black mold infestation allowed to remain in the home has been shown to put the lives of adults, children, and pets alike in danger

Can I clean black mold myself?

Because black mold is so dangerous, extra precautions must be taken when cleaning it out. Increased exposure to the mold without proper protective equipment can cause further damage to you. Additionally, if the mold is not cleaned properly with the right materials, it can linger and persist. If black mold remains in the home, you and your family will continue to be exposed and could eventually experience severe symptoms. 

How to remove black mold 

Black moons, and most molds in general, grow and spread through spores. When released into the air, the tiny spores float around undetected. Because the spores are practically invisible, you likely won’t notice when or where they spread. The cleaning process can disrupt these spores spreading them further in and around the home. This is why it is essential that you take necessary precautions before you begin cleaning. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re going to attempt black mold removal on your own.

  • Make sure to have personal protection equipment and wear it anytime you are dealing with the mold. This equipment could include a mask and gloves, or more. 
  • While you are working to remove the mold, there should be no one living in the home due to the spore spread. Make arrangements to have your family and pets stay for a few days elsewhere.
  • Know which chemicals you will be using and familiarize yourself with their warning labels. Bleach should not be used on black mold. Rather you should use black mold dedicated removal products.
  • Take pictures or videos and document your process. This could help protect you in case of litigation if something goes wrong.
  • Get a hold of moisture in the home. Once you’ve removed the mold, you want to keep it clean. A drier environment will help.

Contact Moldguys Restoration Today

If you’re ready to get a handle on your mold problem and aren’t quite ready to tackle it yourself, get in touch with the experts at Moldguys for assistance. 

 

Preventing Mold in the Winter

While you may think that now since the hot and humid temperatures are long gone, that means that mold growth is too. But unfortunately, that is not always the case. Under the right conditions, mold can spread and wreak just as much havoc in the winter time. In fact, cranking up the heat during the winter actually provides just the right environment for mold to grow. Not only does it look a bit unappealing, but it can also stir up allergies in your home. Here’s what you can do to help prevent this growth, and keep your home mold-free this winter.

Air Circulation

To ensure that air is flowing properly throughout your home, use fans and open windows on warmer days. Since those are few and far between in the winter, you could also consider purchasing a dehumidifier instead to help reduce moisture. You should aim to keep the humidity level in your home below 40%.

Exhaust Fans

Kitchens and bathrooms are the two biggest culprits when it comes to producing moisture in your home. Between long steamy showers, and boiling pots of water, an excess of condensation can build up if you don’t use exhaust fans. Don’t be afraid to leave them on for a bit even after you’re done cooking or bathing, and wipe down walls with a dry towel to clean up any excess water.

Leaks

Since mold thrives in wet climates, any excess moisture from leaks can encourage mold growth. If you suspect any sort of leak coming from outdoors or in your plumbing this winter, it’s important to take care of it immediately to prevent mold growth. You can take preventative measures by regularly checking places such as the bathroom, or under the kitchen sink.

Contact Moldguys Restoration

If you do find mold growth in your home this winter, it’s always best to call in the professionals to remove it. Even if it is minor growth, household cleaning solutions and bleach typically are too weak to completely remove mold spores. Our team is available 24/7 for emergency calls. Located in East Bridgewater, we also service Plymouth, Nantucket, Boston, and more. Fill out an online contact form or give us a call today at 781-910-5029. 

Mold Removal MA

Mold Removal Services in MA

When it comes to projects around the house, there are many projects homeowners can accomplish in a quick amount of time such as changing light bulbs, cleaning the gutters, rearranging furniture. There will be times when you will need to leave it to the professionals in order to get a project done. Such projects as mold removal should always be done by a professional here is why…

A homeowner might not know the type of mold they might be encountering, the ending result can be damaging. Mold can spread to other parts of your home if it not removed properly and drive mold into the air. Major damage, Health and safety concerns can occur if a homeowner does not have the degree of knowledge or the skill that is required for mold removal.

A hired professional wears the proper gear for protection such as gloves, eyewear and face masks to remove the mold out of your home. A homeowner should never try to remove mold on their own. Moldguys Restoration is your mold removal experts to help you complete the toughest mold removal, remediation, and restoration project for your business or home.

 

Request a free quote today.